- Lawrence, Kansas is full of fabulous dogs and animal lovers!
- Lucky Paws Bakery (around the corner from Liberty Hall) is a fabluous store full of delicious treats for your pets.
- Crossroads Dog Rescue is an amazing nonprofit and Lawrence is lucky to have them!
- I love dogs. And taking pictures of them!
It seemed natural that we should all work together! Lucky Paws was kind enough to host me for a “DOGtober Photo Shoot” and I was lucky enough to meet and photograph 8 families. I have currently edited the first 5 sessions and couldn’t resist sharing! A few fun details about the photos:
- Stephanie Richardson, President and Co-founder of Crossroads was sweet enough to bring her adorable pup, Frank. I swear he smiled through the entire shoot! SO cute!
- The Bellas Family brought their dogs Jim and Stan (who happens to be a new addition). Jim was adopted through Crossroads and actually rescued by Stephanie (she might be Super Woman, for real) when she went to Joplin after the tornado. Jim and Stan are fantastic brothers, and I would bet you money in a few months these photos are going to seem hilarious….Jim will NOT be the “big” brother for much longer – Stan is going to be HUGE (I’ve seen his paws and heard about his appetite)!
- Miss Miley! This sweet 6 month old girl was adopted from Safe Harbor Prison Dogs. If you aren’t familiar, Safe Harbor is an amazing organization operated out of the Lansing Correctional Facility here in Kansas. They take in dogs from high kill shelters and place them with inmates trained to handle dogs. The inmates act as fosters and then work through organizations like PetSmart in Shawnee, Kansas to find the dogs good homes once they are trained. When Miley came to Safe Harbor as a pup, she had a broken tail and had been neglected. She is now one happy pup with her new family. They’ve only had her a few months and she did most of this shoot off leash, posing and smiling for the camera under her mom’s watchful eye! I noticed while editing (this is cheesy, I know) that she has extremely expressive eyes. While going through her photos, I found myself thinking she is saying “I have quite a story. I’ve seen a lot in my short life, but all you need to know now is that I am HAPPY and LOVED.” Miley, if all puppies (and people) could only be so lucky. Pure bliss in that sweet face.
- The Crawford Family was a ton of fun to shoot! Robin and Don are such great parents to Jack, Ellie and Baxter – who were just hilarious the entire shoot. It should have seemed overwhelming to shoot 3 dogs along Mass Street in Lawrence, but it was actually a ton of fun and I laughed the entire time. Particularly when I tried for a shot of each of the dogs individually, and Ellie looked at my camera like it was a snack! Silly girl!
- Last but not least, the Williams Family! I just love this shot of their whole family – and what a good looking family they are!
Enjoy – and watch for part two coming soon!